So delicious, this will be made again and again! (I adapted this recipe from the Centr app meal plan.) It’s like a pizza, yet nothing like a pizza, but the kids called it “pizza,” so whatever gets them to eat it! The flavours meld together into something exotic and satisfying, you must try this.
Makes 4 flatbreads.
- 4 flatbread of choice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1-2 zucchini
- 1 med yellow onion
- Sun-dried tomato pesto
- 1 tbsp sliced black olives or black olive paste (optional)
- 1 tsp flax seed
- 3 tbsp hazelnuts
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes (optional, add a bit of kick)
- dash smoke paprika
- Parmesan cheese (non-dairy)
- Himalayan pink salt or seas salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 355 dgs F.
- Thinly slice the zucchini and finely chop the onion. Add zucchini, onion, and garlic powder to a frying pan. Sauté in the olive oil until onion is caramelized and the zucchini is really well done and browning a bit.
- While the zucchini is cooking, prep the flatbread, spread sun-dried tomato over flatbread. If using black olive paste (or olive slices), spread it thinly over sun-dried tomato paste, but don’t mix them together too much. You want the flavours to be distinct not melded together.
- Sprinkle flax seed and red chili flakes across flatbread.
- Place hazelnuts in a plastic zip-lock bag and roll over with a rolling pin to crush to fairly small pieces. Some will powder and a you’ll have a few larger chunks, this is fine. Sprinkle crushed hazelnuts across flatbread.
- Evenly spread zucchini and onion mixture across flatbread.
- Give a light shake of smoked paprika over flatbread.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese, and then salt and pepper to taste.
- Place on a baking tray with a rack underneath (spray rack with non-stick spray), for crispier flatbread, for softer flatbread, don’t use a rack on the baking tray. But in oven at 355 dgs F for 10 minutes. Watch closely for a bit of browning on the flatbread edges. As all the toppings are cooked, you’re just warming it together.
- Remove from oven, let sit for a couple of minutes to set. Cut and serve.
What do some of the key ingredients do for you?
As part of the summer squash family, zucchini helps to inhibit the development of viruses and carcinogens in the intestinal tract. It also strengthens the immune system and fights depression.
Onions have the potential to lower cholesterol, inhibit cancerous tumour growth and manage diabetes. With anti-coagulant properties they could help reduce the risk of heart attack and aid in high blood pressure.
Hazelnuts are an excellent source of protein. Nuts in general reduce the risk of heart disease. They are also a great source of fiber, “good” fat (when consumed in moderation), and contain many phytochemicals. Hazelnuts are high in calcium, potassium and sulfur.
Flaxseeds are an effective laxative and also a soothing agent in inflammatory respiratory problems. Flaxseed oil can help lower cholesterol and may protect against stroke. They are an excellent source of calcium, protein, fiber and iron.
2 Comments Add yours
Love that you added the seeds and the nuts!
Thank you for checking out my blog!
The hazelnuts really add a wonderful additional little crunch and flavour. They really finish the dish!
LikeLiked by 1 person